[WBEL-users] OT: Backups

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:44:09 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Tony wrote:

> Sorry for being slightly OT, but I was wondering
> what you all will be using as an enterprise backup
> solution with WB?

That IS a big question these days, considering the size of typical hard
drives compared to tapes.  Don't know what others are doing but I'm making
sure no user data lives on workstations.

Currently I'm backing up the server by the simple expedient of tar onto a
DDS4 drive.  But when I roll out the new Xeon and WBEL3 I'm switching
strategies.  The old server could use DDS4 because it had fairly small
drives but a tape drive that can back up 100+GB would cost almost as much
or even more than the server itself so I thought outside the box.

External firewire enclosures with 120GB IDE drives.  Backup is as simple
as cp (or drag and drop if that is your thing) and you can still have
rotating backups, off-site copies and all of the things that make for a
well designed backup scheme.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!