[WBEL-users] OT: Backups

Daniel T. Gynn dan.gynn@essensys.com
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 06:56:03 -0500

--=-r6TEfF4/NOvPzJkU3xD+

It doesn't have a GUI, but I use AMANDA.  One nice thing is you can set
it up to backup to disk, so you can configure it to work with external
hard drives.  I find it easier to setup than writing scripts to tar or
copy files and it is simplier and more reliable than some other backups
out there.  For instance, we used to use TapeWare, which had a decent
GUI for Linux, but found it very unreliable.

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 18:44, John Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Tony wrote:
>=20
> > Sorry for being slightly OT, but I was wondering
> > what you all will be using as an enterprise backup
> > solution with WB?
>=20
> That IS a big question these days, considering the size of typical hard=20
> drives compared to tapes.  Don't know what others are doing but I'm makin=
g=20
> sure no user data lives on workstations.
>=20
> Currently I'm backing up the server by the simple expedient of tar onto a=
=20
> DDS4 drive.  But when I roll out the new Xeon and WBEL3 I'm switching=20
> strategies.  The old server could use DDS4 because it had fairly small=20
> drives but a tape drive that can back up 100+GB would cost almost as much=
=20
> or even more than the server itself so I thought outside the box. =20
>=20
> External firewire enclosures with 120GB IDE drives.  Backup is as simple=20
> as cp (or drag and drop if that is your thing) and you can still have=20
> rotating backups, off-site copies and all of the things that make for a=20
> well designed backup scheme.
--=20
-----------------------
Daniel T. Gynn
RHCE #806200978201621
Essential Systems, Inc.
412-931-5403 ext. 1
fax: 412-931-5425
dan.gynn@essensys.com
GnuPG Key http://www.essensys.com/~dan/gpgring.asc
Fingerprint: 0979 73B8 847A 349E 7363  66F4 6A79 DD72 495D CD60

--=-r6TEfF4/NOvPzJkU3xD+

--=-r6TEfF4/NOvPzJkU3xD+--