[WBEL-users] OT: Backups

joswel@joshwelch.com joswel@joshwelch.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:35:36 -0600

Quoting John Morris <jmorris@beau.org>:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Tony wrote:
>
> > Sorry for being slightly OT, but I was wondering
> > what you all will be using as an enterprise backup
> > solution with WB?
>
> That IS a big question these days, considering the size of typical hard
> drives compared to tapes.  Don't know what others are doing but I'm making
> sure no user data lives on workstations.
>
> Currently I'm backing up the server by the simple expedient of tar onto a
> DDS4 drive.  But when I roll out the new Xeon and WBEL3 I'm switching
> strategies.  The old server could use DDS4 because it had fairly small
> drives but a tape drive that can back up 100+GB would cost almost as much
> or even more than the server itself so I thought outside the box.
>
> External firewire enclosures with 120GB IDE drives.  Backup is as simple
> as cp (or drag and drop if that is your thing) and you can still have
> rotating backups, off-site copies and all of the things that make for a
> well designed backup scheme.
>
> --
> John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!
> Geekcode 3.1:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ W++ w--- Y++ b++ 5+++ R tv- e* r

I am not currently running WBL, looking into it. However, on my current linux
boxes I have a setup where data is backed up to disk on a central backup box
via the Amanda software. For archival purposes the Amanda data is put to tape.
I was using plain old tar for this, but ran into some issues. Possibly
associated with the size of the files created by the Amanda backups. I am
currently using Bru for the tape backups, since I had a bru license for one of
the boxes that is now running amanda. Bru seems better behaved than tar for
this purpose.

Josh