[WBEL-users] strange problem with WBEL 3.0

Greg Brown gregbrown@mindspring.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:31:57 -0500

I just installed WBEL on a machine which was last running RH 9.0.  The
installation went smoothly but I am now having a problem obtaining a
DHCP address from my DHCP server.

My physical layer is good (I was obtaining a DHCP address on the same
box running RH 9) though I have changed from my small desktop linksys
switch to my secondary port on my VOIP phone just to test and still no
DHCP address.  I am currently plugged back into the small Linksys
switch along with my OS X laptop and XP laptop.

I stopped iptables (chkconfig --level 0123456 iptables off) and I
continue to try to get an address by issuing 'service network restart'
commands while plugged into the switch and still I get nothing.  Both
my Mac OS X laptop and my XP laptop got DHCP addresses while plugged
into the linksys switch, so it would appear I don't have a problem
communicating with the DHCP server from this switch.

The ethernet card in the WBEL box is a 3c905.  My
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 looks like:

# 3Com Corportation|3c905 100BaseTX [Boomerang]
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=gb-webel
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=ETHERNET

I have nearly this exact configuration at home on my WBEL box (P-III,
3c905) and it works flawlessly without and tweaking once the software
had been installed.  I can verify that iptables has stopped (just to be
sure ICMP is not being blocked) by checking chkconfig --list | grep
iptables which returns:

iptables	0:off	1:off	2:off	3:off	4:off	5:off	6:off

Any ideas?  I must be missing something very simple here, but I just
can't see what it is.

Greg