[WBEL-users] strange problem with WBEL 3.0

Daniel T. Gynn dan.gynn@essensys.com
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:47:01 -0500

--=-HpbN4U058bVC5wMyuAHE

'chkconfig --level 0123456 iptables off' does not turn off iptables.  It
says when you reboot that it won't come on.  To clear your tables, you
must run '/sbin/iptables -F'. =20

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 10:31, Greg Brown wrote:
> I just installed WBEL on a machine which was last running RH 9.0.  The=20
> installation went smoothly but I am now having a problem obtaining a=20
> DHCP address from my DHCP server.
>=20
> My physical layer is good (I was obtaining a DHCP address on the same=20
> box running RH 9) though I have changed from my small desktop linksys=20
> switch to my secondary port on my VOIP phone just to test and still no=20
> DHCP address.  I am currently plugged back into the small Linksys=20
> switch along with my OS X laptop and XP laptop.
>=20
> I stopped iptables (chkconfig --level 0123456 iptables off) and I=20
> continue to try to get an address by issuing 'service network restart'=20
> commands while plugged into the switch and still I get nothing.  Both=20
> my Mac OS X laptop and my XP laptop got DHCP addresses while plugged=20
> into the linksys switch, so it would appear I don't have a problem=20
> communicating with the DHCP server from this switch.
>=20
> The ethernet card in the WBEL box is a 3c905.  My=20
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 looks like:
>=20
> # 3Com Corportation|3c905 100BaseTX [Boomerang]
> DEVICE=3Deth0
> BOOTPROTO=3Ddhcp
> ONBOOT=3Dyes
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=3Dgb-webel
> USERCTL=3Dno
> PEERDNS=3Dyes
> TYPE=3DETHERNET
>=20
> I have nearly this exact configuration at home on my WBEL box (P-III,=20
> 3c905) and it works flawlessly without and tweaking once the software=20
> had been installed.  I can verify that iptables has stopped (just to be=20
> sure ICMP is not being blocked) by checking chkconfig --list | grep=20
> iptables which returns:
>=20
> iptables	0:off	1:off	2:off	3:off	4:off	5:off	6:off
>=20
> Any ideas?  I must be missing something very simple here, but I just=20
> can't see what it is.
>=20
> Greg
>=20
--=20
-----------------------
Daniel T. Gynn
RHCE #806200978201621
Essential Systems, Inc.
412-931-5403 ext. 1
fax: 412-931-5425
dan.gynn@essensys.com
GnuPG Key http://www.essensys.com/~dan/gpgring.asc
Fingerprint: 0979 73B8 847A 349E 7363  66F4 6A79 DD72 495D CD60

--=-HpbN4U058bVC5wMyuAHE

--=-HpbN4U058bVC5wMyuAHE--