[WBEL-users] converting an old box to this distro

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark@trueposition.com
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:53:43 -0500

Ian Holsman wrote:

> I'd like to install whitebox on one of my test boxes.
> unfortuantly I'm 3000 miles away from that machine so I can't just
> stick in the CD ;(
>
> I know it's unsupported, and will result in voiding my waranty etc,
> but is there a unoffical howto on how to upgrade on the fly (and
> pointers to what can & will go wrong by doing this)

Ian,

Do you have someone on-site who could stick a floppy disk in the machine for
you and type a couple of commands?  If so you could likely Kickstart the box
without much trouble.

This is one of the downsides of PC hardware;  had this been a Sun you could
do anything you want to the box from 3000 miles away so long as you had a
serial connection to another machine that you could ssh into as a serial
terminal.

Magnus Hedemark
Linux Network Admin
TruePosition, Inc.