[WBEL-users] Re: Whitebox-users digest, Vol 1 #50 - 5 msgs

Tony tony@instaview.com
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:09:53 -0500

> Content-Type=message/rfc822
> Content-Description=embedded message
> From: "Hedemark, Magnus" <mhedemark@trueposition.com>
> To: Whitebox-users@beau.org
> Subject: RE: [WBEL-users] converting an old box to this distro
> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:53:43 -0500
>
> Ian Holsman wrote:
> > I'd like to install whitebox on one of my test boxes.
> > unfortuantly I'm 3000 miles away from that machine so I can't just
> > stick in the CD ;(
> >
> > I know it's unsupported, and will result in voiding my waranty etc,
> > but is there a unoffical howto on how to upgrade on the fly (and
> > pointers to what can & will go wrong by doing this)
>
> Ian,
>
> Do you have someone on-site who could stick a floppy disk in the machine
> for you and type a couple of commands?  If so you could likely Kickstart
> the box without much trouble.
>
> This is one of the downsides of PC hardware;  had this been a Sun you could
> do anything you want to the box from 3000 miles away so long as you had a
> serial connection to another machine that you could ssh into as a serial
> terminal.
>
> Magnus Hedemark
> Linux Network Admin
> TruePosition, Inc.
> Office 610-680-1133
> FAX 610-680-1199
>

> End of encapsulated message

I recently saw an article on slasdot about a remote upgrade script of sorts
to install FBSD remotely.. While it is not exactally what you want/need since
you want WB afterwards, it might be adapted with  minimal amount of work
( i didnt look.. )

All it required was SSH access... it would boot a mini install kernel that you
ssh'ed over and then run the install process from there.