[WBEL-users] ATA Raid Controllers (was: Promise Fasttrack100 non-RAID support)

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:52:09 -0500

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 13:23, Ajay Sharma wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 00:32, Michiel van Es wrote:
>
> > I am also looking for a ATA Raid controller which is build-in in the Red
> > Hat/White Box kernel.
>
> I *highly* suggest looking at 3ware ATA controllers.  Their drivers have
> been in the standard 2.4 kernel for a while and their cards are detected
> by the installation process.  I was really blown away at how easy it is
> to install linux on their controllers.
>
> We're using their 4-port ATA controller here at work for a backup
> server.  And I have one of their SATA controllers at home.  Both have
> been working great (even installing gentoo on the SATA controller was a
> snap!)

We have used both 4 and 8 port 3Ware ATA controllers running RAID-5.
Survived a couple of single disk failures and rebuilds gracefully.  Had
some problems under RH 7.3, but support since RH 8, and through Fedora
Core 1, has been excellent.  Also have used them dual-boot with Windoze
2000/XP with good results, including mounting an NTFS partition on the
RAID array read-only under Linux.  Have not actually tried them under
WBEL, but if the kernel drivers are there, should be OK.

Phil Schaffner