[WBEL-users] ATA Raid Controllers (was: Promise Fasttrack100 non-RAID support)

Milan Kerslager milan.kerslager@pslib.cz
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:04:54 +0100

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 04:52:45PM -0500, William Hooper wrote:

> Milan Kerslager said:
> >
> > Promise is very cheap. 3Ware is a little bit expensive. But yes - if you
> > use WhiteBox as true Enterprise solution... :-)
>
> At least in some cases Promise has only provided drivers (they aren't in
> the kernel) for the one kernel that ships with a Red Hat version.  If you
> try to upgrade to an errata kernel you are out of luck.  I would do a lot
> of research before thinking about buying a Promise Raid solution.
>
> Personally, I'm just saying the heck with it and using the kernel's
> software raid (mirroring in my case).

I do not underestand a little bit. SATA is almost unsupported, yes. But
ATA/IDE is supported for Promise in stock kernel from RH and SW Promise
RAID too (at least I checked WBEL kernel when I wrote previous mail).

And as I wrote I used kernel level mirroring only (md device) so no
Promise SW RAID module. This module is in kernel-unsupported package.

--
                        Milan Kerslager
                        E-mail: milan.kerslager@pslib.cz