[WBEL-users] converting an old box to this distro

Pavel Krebs pavel.krebs@varicad.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:43:40 +0100

--------------070506050704090109080502

I used these steps for remote install:
I had already linux instaled on remote PC. I had a free partition for
copy the install CDs and the kickstart file.
1. I copied iso images (liberation-i386-binary-1-fixed.iso,
liberation-i386-binary-2-fixed.iso, liberation-i386-binary-3-fixed.iso)
of install CDs to the free partition (hdc1 for me) under /install
directory.
2. I made a kickstart file in install directory too, look at attached
file and change it for your configuration (network, root password).
3. I copied from first CD from directory /images/pxeboot kernel
(vmlinuz) and ramdisk image (initrd.img) to /boot/cd directory on remote
system. I added to my bootloader (lilo.conf):

image=/boot/cd/vmlinuz
        initrd=/boot/cd/initrd.img
        label=wbel
        append="ks=hd:hdc1:/install/ks-auto.cfg"

I ran:
lilo

4. If you think, you didn't make a mistake, you can run:
lilo -R wbel
reboot
wait for half a hour
and try to connect by ssh.

Pavel

Ian Holsman napsal(a):

> Hi.
>
> I'd like to install whitebox on one of my test boxes.
> unfortuantly I'm 3000 miles away from that machine so I can't just
> stick in the CD ;(
>
> I know it's unsupported, and will result in voiding my waranty etc,
> but is there a unoffical howto on how to upgrade on the fly (and
> pointers to what can & will go wrong by doing this)
>
> Thanks
> Ian

--------------070506050704090109080502

install
        harddrive --partition=hdc1 --dir=/install
lang en_US.UTF-8
langsupport --default en_US.UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
mouse none
skipx
network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip 192.168.132.10 --netmask 255.255.255.0 --gateway 192.168.132.254 --nameserver 192.168.132.254 --hostname server2.varicad.com
rootpw changeThisPassword
firewall --enabled --port=smtp:tcp --port=http:tcp --port=ftp:tcp --port=ssh:tcp
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
timezone --utc Europe/Prague
bootloader --location=mbr
reboot
# The following is the partition information you requested
# Note that any partitions you deleted are not expressed
# here so unless you clear all partitions first, this is
# not guaranteed to work
part /boot --fstype ext3 --onpart hda1
part /var --fstype ext3 --onpart hda6
part / --fstype ext3 --onpart hda5