[WBEL-users] cricket/rrdtool + perl-everything rpm's

Josh Hildebrand josh@newgistics.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:08:24 -0600

I was hoping that some kind soul could help me in my quest to install
Cricket and RRDTool onto my new Whitebox server using strictly RPM's (or
Source RPMS).

I found an RRDtool rpm, but it won't install due to the Net::SNMP
dependency.  I've found some perl-net-SNMP rpm's, but none for a recent
redhat, so they don't install into the proper perl version's directory.

But even if I ignore that, it still wants a bunch of other ones..

error: Failed dependencies:
        perl-Crypt-DES >= 2.0.3 is needed by perl-Net-SNMP-4.1.2-2
        perl(Crypt::DES) is needed by perl-Net-SNMP-4.1.2-2
        perl-Crypt-DES is needed by perl-Net-SNMP-4.1.2-2
        perl-Digest-MD5 is needed by perl-Net-SNMP-4.1.2-2
        perl-modules is needed by perl-Net-SNMP-4.1.2-2

<rant>
I feel like I'm running around in circles.  RPMs are supposed to make the
world easier.  I want to avoid a mix-mash of packages like my last system.
Half of the perl modules were RPMs, and nearly half were CPAN installed.
Yet there were even some that I had to d/l and install from tar balls.

If the OS's are going to use RPMs, then why don't the OS's release packages
for all the things we'll commonly need?  Why did RedHat remove so many
packages from their distro?  I've already had to install plenty of Fedora
and RH9 rpms just to get a friendly server.
</rant>

Any insight from the wise out there?

Oh, and I didn't even touch on the fact that I couldn't find a cricket RPM..
I haven't even gotten that far, yet.

-Josh