[WBEL-users] USB CDR

Aaron Smith asmith@nexcerpt.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:59:53 -0500

--=-eRZmabdQ3XGGqtbyWHaK

	This is a shot in the dark, but I'm looking around for anyone that
might have run in to this problem.  I have an external USB CD-RW hooked
up to my WBEL 3.0 machine.  The drive is fine, and it even worked with
WBEL...at one point.  Then I rebooted and it hasn't been detected
since.  If I plug it in and turn it on, the USB hotplug system sees it
just fine, load the appropriate modules (scsi_mod and usb-storage) and
an entry for the CDR appears in /proc/bus/usb/drivers as well as in
/proc/scsi/usb-storage-0.
	The problem is that it does NOT appear in /proc/scsi/scsi.  It never
gets attached to an actual scsi device so that I can mount cd's, burn,
or whatever.  I have no *clue* why.  The one time I got it to actually
be detected by the scsi system was when I unloaded and reloaded the
usb-storage module with the drive powered on.  That trick hasn't worked
since. =20
	So I'm  looking for any ideas about what might be happening, as well
some answers to these questions to aid in my troubleshooting:
	What kernel modules need to be loaded for this thing to be recognized
other than scsi_mod and usb-storage?  sr_mod perhaps?
	I have enabled Verbose Debugging for USB, SCSI, and usb-storage.  I
don't appear to be getting jack from the usb-storage debugging, nor
SCSI.  What do I need to echo to /proc/scsi/scsi to get some serious
SCSI debug info?  I've tried various iterations of:
echo "scsi log scan 1" > /proc/scsi/scsi but I'm getting nothing in
messages.
=09
	I realize that this mailing list probably isn't the place for this, but
my frustration level is getting pretty high and I can't seem to find any
information in google or on the linux-usb-users mailing list.  Everyone
seems to be of the opinion that the proper course of events is:
	Step One: Turn on USB Device
	Step Two: Some magic happens...
	Step Three: Mount the resulting SCSI device
	Step Four:  Profit!

--=20
Aaron Smith             		vox: 269.226.9550 ext.26
Network Director        		fax: 269.349.9076=09
Nexcerpt, Inc.          		http://www.nexcerpt.com
=09
	...Nexcerpt... Extend Your Expertise

--=-eRZmabdQ3XGGqtbyWHaK