[WBEL-users] Raid Driver

Josep M. websurfer@navegants.com
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:28:56 +0100 (CET)

Hello.

After "googlish" several hours I found this,seems well,:

http://www.oswars.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6&forum=6

Any advice will be appreciated
Josep

Installing the hpt374 Linux Driver

Installing the hpt374 Linux Driver
on RedHat 7.3 with a custom compiled kernel 2.4

written by: Chris Tusa (chris@itechusa.net)

-----------------
I. Introduction
-----------------

This document provides additional instructions for installing the
HighPoint Technologies Linux driver on RedHat or other similar linux
distributions that require a custom compiled kernel. Parts of this
document may also apply to Kernels installed using the RHN up2date utility
(see section III-4).

--------------------------
II. Preparing the system
--------------------------

1. Download the linux kernel source code of your choice. The latest
releases can always be found at http://www.kernel.org. This documentation,
uses a cluster capable kernel source downloaded from the OpenMosix project
(www.openmosix.org).

2. Install the source

cd /usr/src
rpm -ivh /home/admin/openmosix-kernel-source-2.4.21-openmosix1.i386.rpm
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-opemmosix1 /usr/src/linux

3. Prepare the kernel compile

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make xconfig (or if on the console: 'make menuconfig')

--------------------
III. Final Steps
--------------------

1. Compile the Kernel Image and Modules

make dep bzImage
make modules && make modules_install

2. Build the HPT Driver

1. Untar the HPT source code into /usr/src/rocketraid

mkdir /usr/src/rocketraid
cd /usr/src/rocketraid
unzip v210_r5_rh7x_rr404.zip

2. Build the driver

make

3. Install the driver

cd /lib/modules/2.4.21-openmosix1/kernel/drivers
mkdir scsi
cd scsi
cp /usr/src/rocketraid/hpt374.o .

4. Update Module Dependencies

cd /usr/src/linux
depmod -ae -F System.map 2.4.21-openmosix1

3. Install the kernel

cd /usr/src/linux
make install

4. Create an initial ramdisk or INITRD image file

cd /usr/src/linux
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.21-openmosix1.img 2.4.21-openmosix1

5. Modify the bootloader (GRUB or LILO) * GRUB Example shown here

When installing the kernel using make install under RedHat, an entry for
the newly compiled kernel should automatically be added to /etc/grub.conf.
All that is needed is to append the initrd line to make the system
bootable. Here is a completed sample entry as it would look in
/etc/grub.conf :

title RedHat Linux (2.4.21-openmosix1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-openmosix1 ro root=/dev/sda2
initrd /initrd-2.4.21-openmosix1.img

6. Reboot and Test your new kernel

----------------------
III. Troubleshooting
----------------------

- I am getting a 'VFS: Could not mount / root file system' or
'/dev/sdaX does not exist' error

The HPT374 driver was not found. Either there was no initrd
image loaded or the driver was not properly installed. Use the
exact steps above to correct the problem.

- My kernel boots and begins to run the INIT scripts, but seems to
freeze during the process. Whats going on?

This problem occurs when the HPT driver was not loaded. This can happen
when support for the HPT370 was added in the kernel configuration menu
(make xconfig/menuconfig). Recompile your kernel and disable all unused
low-level SCSI and ATA controllers not needed.