[WBEL-users] Hello, and possible LAN/NIC issue?

Nigel Kendrick nigel.kendrick@petdoctors.co.uk
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:20:13 +0100

Greetings - first poster here so be gentle on me!

Using WBEL with great success but come up against a small issue with
performance that's driving me mad...

I am running eGroupWare on a PIII-750 with 256MB RAM. The Web pages seem
to be served very slowly - for example, the PHP page generation
indicator on eGroupware says 'page generated in 0.nnn seconds', but the
Web pages take sometimes 7-10 seconds to turn up on the client PC -
we're connected directly on the same switch.

Initially I thought it might be a name resolution issue but I've
everything (resolv.conf, egroupware's setup file etc) is set to IP
addresses and I have checked the setup of Apache for any weirdness
without any luck.

Strange thing is that I am running an almost identical setup on a
PIII-500 elsewhere and that one's really fast. I have walked through all
the config files on both and cannot see any anomalies which leads me to
the network card (NIC) - LAN performance for file copying and other
operations is fine but I cannot see what else might need to be changed.

Admittedly, the card is a low-cost Realtek-8139-based board and the only
substitute I had lying around was another Realtek-based one (albeit an
8139D instead of a 8139B chipset). I noticed some older postings about
3Com/Intel-based cards and may get one in, but I'd appreciate any tips
on checking performance issues related to Apache - any thoughts
appreciated.

Thanks

Nigel Kendrick
IT Associate