[WBEL-users] Hello, and possible LAN/NIC issue?

Paul subsolar@subsolar.org
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:02:45 -0500

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 05:20, Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> Greetings - first poster here so be gentle on me!
>
> Using WBEL with great success but come up against a small issue with
> performance that's driving me mad...
>
> I am running eGroupWare on a PIII-750 with 256MB RAM. The Web pages seem
> to be served very slowly - for example, the PHP page generation
> indicator on eGroupware says 'page generated in 0.nnn seconds', but the
> Web pages take sometimes 7-10 seconds to turn up on the client PC -
> we're connected directly on the same switch.
>
> Initially I thought it might be a name resolution issue but I've
> everything (resolv.conf, egroupware's setup file etc) is set to IP
> addresses and I have checked the setup of Apache for any weirdness
> without any luck.

Is apache set to do DNS lookups?  It could be the server trying to do
DNS lookups and timing out before it processes the page.

One way to test this put the client IP & names in the /etc/hosts file
and see if the names show up in the logs and/or the process is faster.

Regards,
Paul