[WBEL-users] the best practice for updates with/ and WBEL ?

Erik Williamson erik@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:31:55 -0600

Hi Stefan,

I would recommend:
1) Using yum: first run '/etc/init.d/yum start' to enable nightly
    updates.  Next, make sure that this will continue to happen if the
    machine reboots. To do this, run '/sbin/chkconfig --level 35 yum on'
2) Remove the up2date packages: 'yum remove up2date up2date-gnome'
    and answer 'y' to the confirmation.

Your machine will now patch itself automatically every night.  The only
problem with this is that you aren't informed about whether there was a
kernel update or not (or other important packages);  some people will
add an 'exclude=kernel*' line to their yum.conf to avoid this - or
subscribe to the wbel-announce mailing list to keep abreast of new updates.

Hope this helps,
Erik.