[WBEL-users] WB kernel upgrade!

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:34:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 israel.garcia@cimex.com.cu wrote:

> I want to install WBEL in a compaq proliant ml350 ,so,  compaq recomends that:
> HP highly recommends the installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Update 1
> (2.4.21-9.EL kernel) or later for ProLiant servers running Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux 3.  Additional information regarding Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and kernel
> updates is available at the following Red Hat website:
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2004-017.html

Download and install from the Respin1 set and you will get a kernel newer
than 2.4.21-9.EL, you should get 2.4.21-15.EL.

> by default WB has:
>
> kernel-2.4.21-4.EL
>
> and the update's files:
>
> kernel-2.4.21-15.EL.i386.rpm

> my question is?
>
> 1. Does anybody knows a step by step kernel upgrade guide?

Unless you need a precise version (to match up with closed source drivers
for instance) just run up2date and get the latest one, especially since a
fairly nasty remotely exploitable bug was fixed in the last one.

> 2. Note that there is not any update file (in the mirros) for
> kernel-2.4.21-4.EL

That version is not in the updates dir because it was the original shipped
version.  It is available down the 3.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS directory on
all of the mirrors.  All of the old errata kernels are in
3.0/en/obsolete-updates but all mirror sites do not carry it so some
looking around will be required.

Note to all, no promises as to how long every single errata will remain
down that obsolete-updates directory since it is getting alarmingly large
(1,900MB) and has only been stacking up packages for about six months.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!