[WBEL-users] OpenSSH 3.8p1 wants older openssl

Christian Reeves creeves@kua.net
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 19:34:31 -0400

Anyone have any luck installing OpenSSH_3.8p1? I have it running on many
RedHat 8.0 servers but this is the first WBEL box I've tried to upgrade it
on.
I compiled those the "working" installs from src RPMs with minimal issues.

Yum installs these relevant packages when I build the machine (this is a
bare bones install, installing needed packages with yum):
openssh-3.6.1p2-33.30.1
openssh-clients-3.6.1p2-33.30.1
openssh-server-3.6.1p2-33.30.1

openssl-0.9.7a-33.4
openssl-devel-0.9.7a-33.4

Packages I want to install:
openssh-3.8p1-1.rpm
openssh-clients-3.8p1-1.rpm
openssh-server-3.8p1-1.rpm

Sample output from attempted install:
(root@whitebox) 47 /usr/local/src/.dist/sshd # d
total 792
drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Jul  7 19:00 ./
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Jul  7 19:00 ../
-rw-------    1 root     root       240817 Jul  7 18:33 openssh-3.8p1-1.rpm
-rw-------    1 root     root       334155 Jul  7 18:33
openssh-clients-3.8p1-1.rpm
-rw-------    1 root     root       210083 Jul  7 18:33
openssh-server-3.8p1-1.rpm

(root@whitebox) 48 /usr/local/src/.dist/sshd # rpm -Uvh openssh-*
error: Failed dependencies:
        libcrypto.so.2 is needed by openssh-3.8p1-1
        libcrypto.so.2 is needed by openssh-clients-3.8p1-1
        libcrypto.so.2 is needed by openssh-server-3.8p1-1

Seems it wants an older version of openssl because when I research
libcrypto.so.2 I get pointed to openssl-0.9.6b-35.8.1.i386.rpm!
If I try to remove the current openssl to put on the version that the newer
openssh wants...whao! Lotsa things would like it to stay put!

locked and repeating...Thoughts?
Christian