[WBEL-users] OpenSSH 3.8p1 wants older openssl

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:49:34 -0500

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 07:34:31PM -0400, Christian Reeves wrote:

> Anyone have any luck installing OpenSSH_3.8p1? I have it running on many
> RedHat 8.0 servers but this is the first WBEL box I've tried to upgrade it
> on.
> I compiled those the "working" installs from src RPMs with minimal issues.

If I read this right, you compiled the OpenSSH on a RH8.0 machine
right?

> (root@whitebox) 48 /usr/local/src/.dist/sshd # rpm -Uvh openssh-*
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libcrypto.so.2 is needed by openssh-3.8p1-1
>         libcrypto.so.2 is needed by openssh-clients-3.8p1-1
>         libcrypto.so.2 is needed by openssh-server-3.8p1-1
>
> Seems it wants an older version of openssl because when I research
> libcrypto.so.2 I get pointed to openssl-0.9.6b-35.8.1.i386.rpm!
> If I try to remove the current openssl to put on the version that the newer
> openssh wants...whao! Lotsa things would like it to stay put!

Here you are attempting to install RPM's that are related built
against the libraries installed on RH8.0.

If you are really insistant on doing this, put everything on a
single RPM line:

rpm -Fhv --oldpackage openssh-*.rpm openssl-*.rpm

I think that should do the trick, but I'd personally not recommend
that.

You could also remove all of the OpenSSH packages first.

I don't understand why you don't build the RPM's on this machine so
they link against the correct libraries.  Then they'd be built
against the correct libraries (this is why DAG and FreshRPM's have
different versions of each package per distro).  They'd just install
then.

You appear to be going out of your way not to use the version of SSH
distributed with your distribution?  Why?  Is there something
compelling you need from a newer version of SSH?  Security fixes are
backported to the older versions of SSH by RHEL, and they get
rebuilt by the WBEL people.  You'll maintain compatibility binary
compatibility.  I don't see why on earth you are insisting on
building and installing your own SSH when a perfectly fine
pre-packaged one exists.  You're missing out on the main benefits of
WBEL if you rebuilt and repackage your own stuff.  If you want to
stay bleeding edge, and like to rebuild from source, I'm thinking
that Fedora Core or Gentoo are for you.

However, it's your machine manage how you like.

	Thanks,
		Kirby