[WBEL-users] thank you

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:46:22 -0500

--=-YCNkJyykusWNXts9Nbje

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 01:07, Graham Waring wrote:

> Hi whitebox,
>
> Congratulations on your distro, you have restored my faith in opensource.  I
> have been a sys admin using linux since 1998 (mostly redhat) and could not
> believe it when redhat changed to the money hungry company it is today.
>
> Good on you for your efforts.

I don't necessarily agree with RedHat's strategy ... but, this distro is
only available because of RedHat's awesome open source policy concerning
their enterprise product.

Where are the SLES-8 or Mandrake Enterprise rebuild offerings ... not
released, because SUSE and Mandrake do not provide the same availability
to SRPMS for their Enterprise product.  You can not easily obtain SLES-8
updates unless you have a subscription ... and until very recently, YAST
was not even distributable at all.  Mandrake Enterprise is not certified
for Oracle or many of the other products ... and also doesn't provide
the same level of access for their updates.

RedHat only has to make the SRPMS available to their customers ... which
they do through RHN.

Specifically, RedHat makes every SRPM update available to the general
public, the same day they put out the Binary RPM for RHEL customers.
They also released their Cluster Services and Global File System
products and release their updates to those products as well.

Make no mistake about it ... RedHat is a major open source supporter.
More so than any of the other commercial Linux companies.

Johnny Hughes
HughesJR.com

--=-YCNkJyykusWNXts9Nbje

<HTML>