[WBEL-users] Odd window drag behaviour

Alex Tkachenko alex@ingrian.com
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:32:27 -0700

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 17:51, John Morris wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Alex Tkachenko wrote:
>
> > It has a patch for RHEL version of metacity package - I have it
> > locally applied until it gets its way into the official update.
>
> Ok, this one bugs me enough I'm wondering if it justifies pushing up a
> patched version of metacity instead of waiting for RedHat to get around to
> it in U3.  I know I'll be adding this patch to my own copies, but should
> it go into the mainline?  It would mark a departure from tracking RH
> exactly and that worries me.
This is not the only problem with RHEL packages; I bet everybody comes
up with some sort of local repository sooner or later, but this is
exactly what it is: a local repository. The original goal is to keep the
main distribution (whitebox, centos, tao, etc) as close to the original
rhel, as possible, to make use of automatically distributed binary
updates and third-party software. Believe me, once you start fixing
packages yourself, you won't stop, and a year later you may find
yourself maintaining your own distro. The original compatibility, so
valuable because of the above reasons will be lost somewhere down the
road.

So my advice - keep all the fixed packages clearly separated, and be
ready to restore the original set should you need it (especially true in
corporate environment). If you really need something more decent - go
for Fedora.

Have a nice day,
Alex