[WBEL-users] Slow X w/ nVidia Geforce2 MX 400 ??? [SOLVED]

James Knowles jamesk@ifm-services.com
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:18:18 -0600

!!!!! HOLY  ##)(*&)#*$)&!@)*&)*& !!!!

I'm completely dumbfounded at how stinking fast this is. I can see the
difference simply typing in Mozilla. I didn't realize how slow the prior
drivers were. It' really kind of spooky seeing the difference. While
unsettling, I'm not complaining at all. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions, Brad, John. Here's what I did:

I downloaded the drivers from nvidia.com, installed, rebooted ... and
panicked when the login screen came up solid grey. I thought the machine
had locked up. Having some deadlines, a dead machine is the *last* thing
I need right now!

After some more panicking and tail-chasing trying to get the machine to
boot to init level 3 [I don't know how to use grub], I finally booted my
laptop and discovered that I could ssh in. :*   [insert big sigh of
relief] Not until this point did I realize that if I really was stuck I
could always whip out the Knoppix CD and undo the changes to the X
config file. *duh* OK, that deadline is really bothering me!

After a lot of reading the README and fiddling (and sweating!) I made an
educated guess and added to the Device section:

    Option "NvAG" "1"

and voilą!

It came up fine. I actually sat there staring at the login screen, not
realizing that it was actually working. My brain was saying, "now what?"

Once again, thank you Brad and John!

--
One-Day Introductory Course to Medieval Longsword
http://www.thearma.org/events/utah_ntp10.htm