[WBEL-users] Slow X w/ nVidia Geforce2 MX 400 ??? [SOLVED]

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:29:07 -0500

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:18:18PM -0600, James Knowles wrote:

<snip>
> I downloaded the drivers from nvidia.com, installed, rebooted ... and
> panicked when the login screen came up solid grey. I thought the machine
> had locked up. Having some deadlines, a dead machine is the *last* thing
> I need right now!
>
> After some more panicking and tail-chasing trying to get the machine to
> boot to init level 3 [I don't know how to use grub], I finally booted my
> laptop and discovered that I could ssh in. :*   [insert big sigh of
> relief] Not until this point did I realize that if I really was stuck I
> could always whip out the Knoppix CD and undo the changes to the X
> config file. *duh* OK, that deadline is really bothering me!

That's curious, if your X isn't working, within about 10-15 seconds
a screen should come up that is grey with blue text if I remember
correctly asking you if you'd like to shutdown X.  It will attempt
to restart 5 times if I remember correctly.  If it restarts too many
times too quickly it gives you the option to exit.

Prior to this, I used to just keep my machines in runlevel 3 and
just log in and do an "init 5" as root and log out.

	Thanks,
		Kirby

PS:  Press "e" at the grub screen, type single or emergency at the
end of the line that starts with "kernel".  If you type single,
you'll get a root prompt immediatly after rc.sysinit finishes
running (I think).  If you put in emergency, I'm reasonable sure you
get control pretty much right after the root filesystem gets mounted
(and not even fsck'ed).  None of the other filesystems get mounted
or fsck'ed if I remember.  It's the one you use when you need to get
control of the machine without waiting for the fsck to finish.  At
either prompt, type exit and the shutdown scripts should run and
reboot the machine.

<snip>