[WBEL-users] X problems with 2.4.26 kernel

Bevis.Peters@ftid.com Bevis.Peters@ftid.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:22:00 +0100

That worked!  Fantastic, thanks very much!

-
Bevis

Kay Diederichs <kay.diederichs@uni-konstanz.de>
Sent by: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
16/07/2004 08:57

        To:     whitebox-users@beau.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [WBEL-users] X problems with 2.4.26 kernel

To use a vanilla 2.4 kernel (which does not support NPTL) with WBEL/RHEL
only
involves:

a) mv /lib/tls /lib/tls-dontuse  # this is essential for X
b) install the closed-source NVIDIA driver with --force-tls=classic

a) needs to be repeated after a glibc update, so you might want to exclude
glibc
from being automatically updated by yum. I found b) to be necessary for
k3b .

Been running a cluster of ~12 machines like that without any issues. (I
use a
vanilla kernel patched with Mosix, NFS, and ACPI_TIMER for Asus A7M266-D)

Kay