[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

Romeo Ninov rninov@mailbg.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:16:57 +0300

Alex Georgiev wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to move the company file server from gentoo to WBEL or
> other RHEL recompiled distro.
>
> The mother board is an old intel 820 desktop board with 512MB ram,
> Pentium III 500MHz. This server provides the following services for 15
> windows/linux clients:
>
>     oracle, samba, nfs, cvs, mail (smtp, pop3), dhcp, dns, http
>
> the average load is very, very low.
> Except upgrading to WBEL I want to do 2 additional things:
>
> 1. Setup a network CD burning software under UML
> We are using a separate machine for cd burning with webCDcreator,
> I would like to move the cd burning to the file server, but
> as some times cd burning makes the kernel panic, I think that I should
> setup
> User Mode Linux on the file server and provide this service under UML,
> expecting
> that a kernel panic in the UML, will not affect the underlying WBEL
> file server. I intent to put a CD writer device and a CDROM device on
> separate channels of the onboard IDE controller.
>

> 2. Setup a software Raid 0 (mirror) with two 200GB disks using an
> additional PCI IDE controller, The one I can found here is:
>
>     EIO AP-1680 Ultra ATA/133 IDE RAID Controller Card
>
>     http://www.ivmm.com/eio/products_ap1680.html with chip
> set             http://siimage.cubik.com/products/sii0680.asp
>
> This one is a cheap RAID controller, but I intend to use it as a pure
> IDE controller, connect the two disks on separate channels,
> and set up a software mirror, on wich to install WBEL, user data and
> Oracle.

Is I see (based on Your description) this is not so fast computer, so my
idea is to try to start hardware mirror instead of software based. Some
of drivers make raid to look like scsi disk!!
If You use s/w mirror you can make it from install procedure (disk
managment) or make this using LVM. Lash help you manage disk space