[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

Romeo Ninov rninov@mailbg.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:10:50 +0200

--------------080209090605030105000709

I understand about the budget  :-(
My experience with RAID 0 (s/w) on RHEL Enterprise Server with only CVS
and Oracle and 10 developers I see serios processor load from RAID
support. :-(
On the same configuration (with 1G of ram, 2XPentium 1GHz) exp command
make load on 50% with serios amount of i/o operations.
BTW: If you are buy already controller try it on other machine with
Knoppix for example to make sure is not recognizable as other kind of RAID
Alex Georgiev wrote:
> Romeo Ninov wrote:
>
>> Alex Georgiev wrote:
>>

>>> The mother board is an old intel 820 desktop board with 512MB ram,
>>> Pentium III 500MHz. This server provides the following services for
>>> 15 windows/linux clients:
>>>         oracle, samba, nfs, cvs, mail (smtp, pop3), dhcp, dns, http
>>>     the average load is very, very low.
>>>

>> Is I see (based on Your description) this is not so fast computer, so
>> my idea is to try to start hardware mirror instead of software based.
>> Some of drivers make raid to look like scsi disk!!
>> If You use s/w mirror you can make it from install procedure (disk
>> managment) or make this using LVM. Lash help you manage disk space
>

> I have no option for a hardware raid - we are on a budjet.
> Unless someone is not driving the Oracle with a vicious query,
> (too bad that 512MB ram is the max for that board)
> the average load is very low. Even when oracle is working -
> the samba responce time is good. I am more afraid of CD burning
> slowing the whole machine - but we burn not more that 2 disks a week.

					Regards: Romeo Ninov

--------------080209090605030105000709

begin:vcard
fn:Romeo Ninov