[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

Alex Georgiev ageorgiev@eurorisksystems.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:50:41 +0300

Romeo Ninov wrote:

> Alex Georgiev wrote:
>

>> The mother board is an old intel 820 desktop board with 512MB ram,
>> Pentium III 500MHz. This server provides the following services for 15
>> windows/linux clients:
>>         oracle, samba, nfs, cvs, mail (smtp, pop3), dhcp, dns, http
>>     the average load is very, very low.
>>

> Is I see (based on Your description) this is not so fast computer, so my
> idea is to try to start hardware mirror instead of software based. Some
> of drivers make raid to look like scsi disk!!
> If You use s/w mirror you can make it from install procedure (disk
> managment) or make this using LVM. Lash help you manage disk space

I have no option for a hardware raid - we are on a budjet.
Unless someone is not driving the Oracle with a vicious query,
(too bad that 512MB ram is the max for that board)
the average load is very low. Even when oracle is working -
the samba responce time is good. I am more afraid of CD burning
slowing the whole machine - but we burn not more that 2 disks a week.