[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

James Knowles jamesk@ifm-services.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:42:01 -0600

> Along these lines, does anyone know how much overhead Software RAID
> introduces?

I'd like to counter the idea that soft RAID introduces a lot of
overhead. I've been using it since it was first introduced into the kernel.

It doesn't really add much overhead, even on the pokey 233MHz server
(soft RAID-5) that's been in service since 233MHz Pentrium-II was the
rage of the day. For old machines I expect a 5% increase in CPU overhead
with IDE, lower with SCSI. The worst I ever saw was 15% CPU increase
under bitter load and IDE drives.

Of course, on modern multi-GHz processors, soft RAID hardly impacts the
machine.

Since soft RAID was stabilized in the kernel years ago, I've never seen
it put data at risk, including the harshest loads.

Since hard drives have become cheap, we've always run our workstations
with soft RAID-1, which has saved our bacon more than once over the
years. It costs more to slap in an extra hard drive, but it's cheaper
than what it does to a business on the rare day when a HD decides to
roll over and die. The worst case is when the HD takes out swap, the
kernel panics, and we have to yank the cable to the offending drive.
When there's a failure, we can wait until after hours to actually swap
out the drive.

Anaconda has a nice interface for setting up soft RAID during install.

--
One-Day Introductory Course to Medieval Longsword
http://www.thearma.org/events/utah_ntp10.htm