[WBEL-users] Installing a dual boot XP/WBEL with WBEL on hdb?

Benjamin J. Weiss Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin@birdvet.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:31:32 -0500 (CDT)

At work we're trying to familiarize our IT staff with Linux.  Our two
options are to add a second drive to the boxes and load linux on them, or
to run a live-cd.

I prefer using a second HD and running WBEL, as we're running two RHEL
servers in our computer room and hopefully will get more soon.  The
live-cd distros that I've seen are based on Debian, which is obviously
different.

I've installed a second hard drive, as the slave on the primary ide
channel.  I have a 40gig XP drive as the primary ide master, and a dvd
burner as the primary on the second ide channel.

I've tried doing the install with GRUB on the primary MBR, but when the
system reboots all I get is a black screen with the word GRUB at the top.

So, I booted off of the XP disk and ran FIXMBR, which brought me back into
windows.

Then I re-installed WBEL, telling GRUB to load on the first sector of the
/boot partition (hdb).  I then followed the directions in the "Dual-Boot
Linux and Windows 2000/Windows XP with GRUB HOWTO"
(http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html) but when I try
to boot into WBEL, I get the black screen with GRUB at the top, yet again.

Is it possible to do this?  I need to keep XP on the primary drive and
want to put linux on the second drive.

I'm running a new Dell 4600.  I've checked the BIOS and can't find
anywhere that I can specify LBA mode.  I get either "Auto" or "disabled".

Thanks,

Ben