[WBEL-users] Installing a dual boot XP/WBEL with WBEL on hdb?

Ivan Deras ideras@grupoleitz.com
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:00:24 -0600

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

>At work we're trying to familiarize our IT staff with Linux.  Our two
>options are to add a second drive to the boxes and load linux on them, or
>to run a live-cd.
>
>I prefer using a second HD and running WBEL, as we're running two RHEL
>servers in our computer room and hopefully will get more soon.  The
>live-cd distros that I've seen are based on Debian, which is obviously
>different.
>
>I've installed a second hard drive, as the slave on the primary ide
>channel.  I have a 40gig XP drive as the primary ide master, and a dvd
>burner as the primary on the second ide channel.
>
>I've tried doing the install with GRUB on the primary MBR, but when the
>system reboots all I get is a black screen with the word GRUB at the top.
>
>So, I booted off of the XP disk and ran FIXMBR, which brought me back into
>windows.
>
>Then I re-installed WBEL, telling GRUB to load on the first sector of the
>/boot partition (hdb).  I then followed the directions in the "Dual-Boot
>Linux and Windows 2000/Windows XP with GRUB HOWTO"
>(http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html) but when I try
>to boot into WBEL, I get the black screen with GRUB at the top, yet again.
>
>Is it possible to do this?  I need to keep XP on the primary drive and
>want to put linux on the second drive.

You need to enable LBA32 before installing grub, this can be done
without reinstalling Linux but you need to boot with first CD in rescue
mode and then configure grub to use lba32 and install it !!!