[WBEL-users] bash causes sporadic job control output

Alan Sparks asparks@quris.com
20 Jul 2004 10:29:19 -0600

This is kinda baffling me... can not duplicate it on any other Linux
dist (such as RH 7.2 or Fedora Core 2).  Not the best place to ask, but
seems only symptomatic on WBEL.

I have a script that is producing output like the following:
$ mtabacklog |head
     22 belsouth.net
     20 verison.net
     20 hotamil.com
     18 yohoo.com
     18 yaho.com
     16 yhoo.com
     16 hotmail.
     12 earhtlink.net
     10 aol.ocm
     10 aol.comy
/home/asparks/bin/mtabacklog: line 7:  3810 Done
mailq -v
      3811                       | perl -n -e '/^\s+\<.*\@(.*)\>/ &&
print "$1\n"'
      3812                       | sort
      3813                       | uniq -c
      3814 Broken pipe             | sort -nr

I can't understand why bash on this WBEL 3.0 respin1 machine prints that
job control.  The script runs #!/bin/sh magic.  Funny part is, If I
change that to /bin/tcsh, no problem.  /bin/sh or /bin/bash does, which
makes me think bash issue, but I run it as bash elsewhere with no
problem.

Anyone seen similar braindeath before?
-Alan

====== the script for reference =====