[WBEL-users] bash causes sporadic job control output

Alan Sparks asparks@quris.com
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:42:06 -0600

Kirby Bohling wrote:
> Some how I think you are seeing a data error with escaping.  Have
> you tried moving the data over to a Fedora Core machine?  So the
> input data is exactly the same.

Yes, as I said I have tested the exact same stuff on FC2 and bash does
not throw all the job completion stuff.  Only on WBEL.

> 	I can't remember for sure, but doesn't tcsh have a specific list
> of things to does differently (I want to say, {}, (), environment

Yes, tcsh is wildly different.  'twas a data point.  Not that I'd every
script production in tcsh...

> I'd try running partial versions of that pipeline and see what comes
> out of it.  Something is getting lost in there.  I've seen the
> SIGPIPE thing on several versions of RedHat.  My guess is that
> something is going on in that perl script which is causing it to do
> something crazy and end the escaping (I'm not enough of a perl
> hacker to know), the rest of the commands look completely sane to

I've done that for the last 24 hours.  Replacing the perl part of the
pipeline with a plain "cat" does not change the behavior at all (well,
program output is wrong of course, but bash still throws the job
completion line).  It's the way bash is handling the broken-pipe
situation on the |head part -- I know that since just running the script
or piping it into a tail or more does not invoke the problem.

-Alan

--
Alan Sparks, Sr. UNIX Administrator	asparks@quris.com
Quris, Inc.				(720) 836-2058