[WBEL-users] Character Set Changes - Missing Chars

Vincent.Raffensberger@dtn.com Vincent.Raffensberger@dtn.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:13:51 -0500

I missed my guess on your mysqld threads question, but I'll try again with
this one.

Replace the content of /etc/sysconfig/i18n with this:
LANG="en_US"
SUPPORTED="en_US:en"
SYSFONT="lat0-8"
SYSFONTACM="iso01"

The default font set (?latarcyrheb-sun16) works fine in a GUI terminal but
not a vt100 terminal emulator.

John Hinton <webmaster@ew3d.com>
Sent by: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
07/27/2004 08:26 AM

Whitebox Users <whitebox-users@beau.org>
cc

Subject
[WBEL-users] Character Set Changes - Missing Chars

Moving from RedHat 7.2 to WBEL, there seems to be a lots of chars which
just don't exist anymore?

Various websites moved from one machine to the other suddenly have ?
marks on the pages. When looking at the code, these are middot,
copywrite and so on characters. Seems some html editors are starting to
put in a middot instead of the html &middot; tag.

I'm also noticing in several manpages, some characters are not
recognized (no graphical interface installed).

So, it seems that the new RedHat flagship product in all it's glory has
dumped these characters? I'm seeing this same situation on six different
webserver installations. Does anybody know what up with that?

Meanwhile the really sad news.... It seems M$ has decided to reduce the
size of the code created by FP, and is using the middot char and the
copywrite char. Now, has anyone 'ever' know M$ to reduce the size of
it's code on anything? Could it be they are taking a stab at some of the
'nix systems?

I have spent a few hours googling on this whole deal, but it is very
tough to drill down to anything of value.

And maybe someone could try using middot or copywrite chars in a
graphical environment to see if the char sets are different? This is
driving me nuts!

Yes, the use of middot and copywrite are not w3c compliant to my
knowledge, but the appearance of problems in the man pages leads me to
believe some char set is not being brought in. As a for instance, take a
look at the man for rsync. Under EXAMPLES, look at the get: command

rsync -avuzb --exclude ´*~´ samba:samba/

That's a bit confusing to figure out! :)

Thanks,
John Hinton <running off to various web sites to fix 99 instances of '?'
on thirty eleven pages every other day, that had worked just fine on
RH7.2 and FreeBSD>