[WBEL-users] OpenSSH 3.8p1 wants older openssl

James Knowles jamesk@ifm-services.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:20:05 -0600

> OT: why go to FC2?

Other than more blood on the floor? :-)

The one thing I did like about FC2 was the performance of the 2.6
kernel. It was *so* refreshing to have great overall responsiveness even
when hammering the filesystem. I miss that.

Yes, many of the 2.6 features were backported to the RHEL 2.4 kernel,
but performance isn't near what I was seeing with 2.6 under heavy disk
load conditions (my usual mode of working), even with the "sysctl -w
vm.inactive_clean_percent=100" improvement. Still, compared to a stock
2.4 kernel the RHEL 2.4 kernel is a big improvement. I don't want to
underplay that.

However, instability and lack of firewire support killed FC2's
usefullness in my book. Then we found WBEL, and maintenance has been
much reduced. (Thanks!)

--
One-Day Introductory Course to Medieval Longsword
http://www.thearma.org/events/utah_ntp10.htm