FW: [WBEL-users] Hello, and possible LAN/NIC issue?

Rafael Baquero S. rbaqueros@yahoo.com.mx
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:09:00 -0500

On Thursday 29 July 2004 10:59, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> > Remember me with eGroupware / slow Web page serving!?
> >
> > One of my suspicions, backed up by a few posts, is a DNS issue and I
> > think this is now even more likely - I've opened the site to the outside
> > world and from home via broadband everything appears very fast - as
> > expected no less!
> >
> > It occurs to me that in-house name resolution is performed by a
> > pain-in-the-a** Windows 2000 box running ISA server which needs to be
> > there to keep the suppliers of a bespoke app happy (ie: if we remove ISA
> > server from the equation we lose support on the app running on the
> > server even though the supplier's reasons for justifying the ISA server
> > running in the first place are a bit lame - I think it was just part of
> > the default install for the server and they're too lazy to turn it off!).
> >
> > I've actually had so much hassle with the ISA server that I've moved the
> > Linux system and my desktop PC to the 'North' of the ISA server firewall
> > as we still have a firewall in the broadband router, and it's a NAT
> > router anyway. I also couldn't see the point of having all incoming
> > traffic for the Linux box passing through the Win2K server too.
> >
> > Anyway, I digress...
> >
> > My question of the moment is regarding the ISA server's DNS service -
> > any tips on making it more friendly to clients - I seem to recall that
> > there can be issues if the client requesting a lookup is not actually a
> > Windows desktop system authenticated to the server and/or its domain.
> >
> > I'll have a read up via Google but any short cuts to a solution would be
> > appreciated.
>
> So why can't you run another bind on WBEL and use that, and just leave
> the old one running and used only where requiored by support issues?

I have only used bind so I am unsure if the following suggestion will work,
but I think it should. You can keep the DNS service in the winblows box as a
slave DNS server and set up bind in a Linux box as a master DNS server or
viceversa. This way you can configure the rest of your network to use the
Linux box for name resolution and still maintain the winblows DNS for your
windows app. If you configure both systems in a master-slave scheme you wil
also maintain a sigle administration point.

Hope this helps.

Rafael.