[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:00:02 -0400

Shackmaster wrote:
> I'd be curious to hear about anyone's experience with software RAID on a
> heavily load NAS server? I have been considering the deployment of a 6TB
> system, with dual opterons, runing a software based RAID 6. (WBEL of
> course.)
>
> Can anyone speak problems with this setup? Alternatives?

Did RH really put RAID-6 in? My only argument with any software RAID is
that it depends on the BIOS being able to load some things before the
kernel runs, and if a drive fails that may not happen. My only
justification for using cruddy systemboard RAID in mirror mode just to
boot, nothing more.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)