[WBEL-users] xmms-mp3

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree@vanree.net
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:19:21 +0200

On Friday 30 July 2004 08:46, Mario Gamito wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 00:37, John Morris wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Mario Gamito wrote:
> > > Don't install (or uninstall) the xmms that comes with WBHL.
> > > Retrieve the source from www.xmms.org and then:
> >
> > Not recommended.  If using a package managed OS you should avoid
> > conflicts with the packaging system.  Instead look in
> > /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources, enable DAG's archive and just do "up2date
> > xmms".  It even has neat things like the crossfade, flac, etc plugins.
>
> I couldn't agree with you more, of course. That was just a (lousy) way
> to make things work.

The best way would be to use the SPEC file from the WBEL package and fetch a
clean source, edit the SPEC file and rebuild XMMS with MP3 support.

I agree with John, doing .tar.gz installs over an RPM-based system is giving
up the clean workings of the RPM system and making such a system a bitch to
maintain, specially when trying to upgrade the distro (learned that the hard
way)

So these days I make my own (WBEL) RPM's for everything, ALSA, KDE, ntfs
support etc etc, all done in neat RPM's so I can easily remove them or
upgrade them.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree        | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net