[WBEL-users] installing WBEL on a UML guest

Pete Stevens pete@ex-parrot.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:27:50 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, A Streetcar Named wrote:

> I'm trying to install WBEL by following the steps listed at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=user-mode-linux-user&m=108372798531039&w=2
> but the actual package installation doesn't seem to be taking place -
> instead, it just eats all CPU on my host machine.  Any ideas?

Our experience at www.mythic-beasts.com showed problems with PCMCIA -
the installer hung here and we had to do a local disk install rather than nfs
with a modified installer.

I've contacted my colleague who actually did the install [he's a UML person
rather than a WBEL person] to see if we can get some documentation together to
help other people, he admitted it was a bit challenging.

Some other notes on WBEL under UML :-

To do the initial package upgrade with yum, you need to boot with more than
64MB of memory, otherwise yum crashes in an unhelpful way, 128MB RAM & 128MB
of swap worked okay.

To run java, you need to disable nptl, by moving /lib/tls to /lib/tls-dontuse

Note that upgrading glibc will put this back.

Our UML boxes are running on 2.4.25 & 2.6.5 kernels, and seem quite happy,
I've been using one as a low latency UDP proxy for game playing running a
highly threaded java program as the UDP relay and it's worked just like a real
machine.

Yours,

Pete Stevens

--
Pete Stevens
pete@ex-parrot.com

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
                                                  -- Christopher Morley