[WBEL-users] 64 Bit Processors

Milan Ker¹lįger milan.kerslager@pslib.cz
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:04:36 +0200

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:26:51PM -0400, Paul Voccio wrote:
> Has anyone run whitebox on a 64-bit processor yet? Specifically an AMD
> Opteron? RHAS is supposed to support it, but is it a special distro
> for 64-bit support?

It is possible because RHEL runs on Opteron too.

You may use Pasi's RC1 (release candidate 1) from Whitebox contrib
directory:

http://whitebox.phantomhosting.com/contrib/

But this is not a good choice because Pasi moves to Tao Linux
(http://taolinux.org) as communication with Morris is not easy.

So final version of AMD64 port is at Tao Linux site. There is IA64 port
too. The choice of Tao Linux is better because all RHEL's errata are
compiled already (Whitebox has outstanding packages every time).

This is true that Morris has Athlon64 machine and runs WBEL port on it
but even there was promises and delays, now there is a silence. I
compiled all errata myself for WBEL RC1 AMD64 but I don't want to
continue because I'm only wasting my time and effort (when trying to
make external support until Morris handle its own troubles).

My dual Opteron machine has been claimed and now is running just for 2
days. I simply changed packages:

whitebox-release  ->  tao-release
redhat-logos      ->  tao-logos

Then I changed URLs in /etc/yum.conf to point to Tao Linux mirrors and
run 'yum update'.

Because binary compatibility you are able to switch between Tao,
Whitebox, CentOS, Lineox or so very easy. You have to 'update' only
modified packages (only a few) to satisfy yum (ie because
httpd-2.0.46-32.ent.TL1 from Tao is a different version when compared
with httpd-2.0.46-32.ent.WB1 from Whitebox even they are mostly the same
[only because handling trademark issue]).

The second difference is that WBEL has kernel and kernel-unsupported
(like RHEL) and Tao has only kernel package (with all modules in one
package).

--
                        Milan Kerslager
                        E-mail: milan.kerslager@pslib.cz