[WBEL-users] redhat-config-network

Mon, 07 Jun 2004 17:55:46 -0500

--=-2hnlcYod8SvROBz4SUvx

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 11:28, Nick Lunt wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I recently installed WBEL after hearing about it on the RHCT course I
> recently did.
>
> My RHCT tutor said that redhat-config-network uses profiles, so if I then go
> and edit the network files by hand I would have to then also edit the
> network files for the profile that redhat-config-created.
>
> I can see on my machine that their is a profiles directory so I have no
> reason to disbelieve what my tutor told me, however if I was to use
> redhat-config-network do I really have to then edit the profile files if I
> manually edit the network files ?
>
> Just to clarify, I won't be using redhat-config-network anyway, but I'd like
> this issue clearing up before I go for the RHCE.
>
> The RHCE study book I have doesn't mention the profiles stuff - not yet
> anyway.
>
> Many thanks
> Nick.

NO ... you do not need to edit the profiles as well if you edit the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files by hand.  I edited the ifcfg-eth0
file there and it changed all the files (in
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices and /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles
... it seems the files are hard links to the original.  It might be a
good idea to _check_ the scripts in /etc/sysconfig/netowrking/devices
and /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles though).

-Johnny Hughes

--=-2hnlcYod8SvROBz4SUvx

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
I recently installed WBEL after hearing about it on the RHCT course I
recently did.

My RHCT tutor said that redhat-config-network uses profiles, so if I then go
and edit the network files by hand I would have to then also edit the
network files for the profile that redhat-config-created.

I can see on my machine that their is a profiles directory so I have no
reason to disbelieve what my tutor told me, however if I was to use
redhat-config-network do I really have to then edit the profile files if I
manually edit the network files ?

Just to clarify, I won't be using redhat-config-network anyway, but I'd like
this issue clearing up before I go for the RHCE.

The RHCE study book I have doesn't mention the profiles stuff - not yet
anyway.

Many thanks
Nick.</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
NO ... you do not need to edit the profiles as well if you edit the <B>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts</B> files by hand.&nbsp; I edited the ifcfg-eth0 file there and it changed all the files (in <B>/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices</B> and <B>/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles</B> ... it seems the files are hard links to the original.&nbsp; It might be a good idea to <B>_check_</B> the scripts in <B>/etc/sysconfig/netowrking/devices</B> and <B>/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles</B> though).<BR>
<BR>
-Johnny Hughes
</BODY>
</HTML>