[WBEL-users] performance of update 1 slow

Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:25:38 -0500

--=-CTnwV8DM0PR7Qv6WdtgX

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 04:30, Tom Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running white box on a couple of machines as test beds - Before this the
> machines were running 7.3 without issues. Since changing to whitebox update
> 1 the performance has been terrible - High machine loads, high I/O waits etc
> and generally dog slow.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this or am i unlucky. Machine specs are older twin
> p3 cpu's and RAM at either 2 gig or 4 gig depending on machine. These
> performance drops are on adaptec and megaraid RAID controllers.

I am using the smp kernel on 3 dual processor (p4 xeons with
hyperthreading) servers and I am not having any problems.  All are using
1gb or 2gb RAM and use the SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7899P
U160/m.

There is a new driver on update2 for the megaraid controller, see this
thread.
http://www.redhatconfig.com/msg/73218.html

Seems that there are definitely issues with at least the megaraid
controller though. The recommendation I see is to upgrade the firmware
for the controller and use the megaraid2 driver .... like in this
thread:
http://www.redhatconfig.com/msg/67114.html

So, I would make sure you have the latest firmware and use megaraid2 as
the module, then rebuild the initrd like this:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2003-November/msg00003.html

--=-CTnwV8DM0PR7Qv6WdtgX

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
I'm running white box on a couple of machines as test beds - Before this the
machines were running 7.3 without issues. Since changing to whitebox update
1 the performance has been terrible - High machine loads, high I/O waits etc
and generally dog slow.

Has anyone else noticed this or am i unlucky. Machine specs are older twin
p3 cpu's and RAM at either 2 gig or 4 gig depending on machine. These
performance drops are on adaptec and megaraid RAID controllers.</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
I am using the smp kernel on 3 dual processor (p4 xeons with hyperthreading) servers and I am not having any problems.&nbsp; All are using 1gb or 2gb RAM and use the SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7899P U160/m.<BR>
<BR>
There is a new driver on update2 for the megaraid controller, see this thread.<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.redhatconfig.com/msg/73218.html">http://www.redhatconfig.com/msg/73218.html</A><BR>
<BR>
Seems that there are definitely issues with at least the megaraid controller though. The recommendation I see is to upgrade the firmware for the controller and use the megaraid2 driver .... like in this thread:<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.redhatconfig.com/msg/67114.html">http://www.redhatconfig.com/msg/67114.html</A><BR>
<BR>
So, I would make sure you have the latest firmware and use megaraid2 as the module, then rebuild the initrd like this:<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2003-November/msg00003.html">http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2003-November/msg00003.html</A><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>