[WBEL-users] Need Help

Jeff Maze maillists@crescentdigital.com
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:01:05 -0400

 If you're trying to install Whitebox (or RH for that matter) on VMWare,
when you get to the second CD, don't put it in your CD-Rom. Close the CD-ROM
and then click on OK.  It will say that there isn't media there and to
insert CD 2.  Put the second CD in and then click on OK.  You shouldn't have
any more problems installing from there.  There's something with this and
VMWare (problem's with VMWare I think; see the "Forcing the Installer to
Read the Second Installation CD" section in the link below).

There's also another problem with VMWare and Whitebox (RH).  You have to
edit the "ifcfg-eth[n]" file to disable the cable check.  Otherwise, you
won't get a network connection (see the "Getting a DHCP Address in a Red Hat
Linux 9.0 Virtual Machine" section in the link below).

This explains everything:
http://www.vmware.com/support/guestnotes/doc/guestos_redhat90.html#1128831

Also, in this support article, it says to install the system in text mode.
I've installed a couple test systems in Graphical mode without any problems.
The only thing is that once the install is done, log in and switch to "text"
mode to install VMWare tools (open term window and type "init 3").  Reboot
the system and you should be good to go.

I've run WBEL on VMWare 4.0 and 4.5 without any problems.