[WBEL-users] Considering White Box - Related Questions

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree@vanree.net
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:30:39 +0200

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:07:23AM -0400, Clint Harshaw wrote:

> Extras: I've installed via yum quite a few extras, such as tuxpaint,
> frozen bubble, gkrellm*, ogle*, kaffeine, player. Are you all getting
> these extras on WBEL via a particular repository using yum? (With FC
> there are a handful of repo's that everybody seems to use for extras,
> such as fedora.us and livna.org)

Some Whitebox users have a repo with specific stuff, and what I do most is grab the SRPM's for RedHat 9 and/or FC and rebuild those.I use the kde-redhat's KDE builds for RHEL30 to stay up-to-date with KDE on my personal box.

> Java and Flash: I'm a nut about checking the NOAA.gov weather animations
> and my family needs the Flash plug-in for Mozilla for things like Sesame
> Street and Playhouse Disney. The instructions I always used were those
> found at:
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc1/#Java
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc1/#Flash
>
> Will the same instructions work with WBEL?

For Java I took the SRPM from DAG en rebuilt it. Worked fine. I never did the step with the small bash script. So far my online banking works, which is all I need Java for. Never bothered with Flash to be honest

> Lastly (and perhaps most importantly), I understand that WBEL is
> server-oriented. Would it be a good choice for me as a long-term (3-4
> years) desktop for home desktop use, and at the office, where I
> regularly use MySQL/PHP for my own small database work, some Perl, and a
> lot of LaTeX? or would I be better served by maintaining my FC1 machines
> by moving to fedoralegacy for updates?

I use Whitebox both on my personal laptop and two servers (one dev, one production running my domain and some other things) and find it quite flexible. It's stable, due to the backports of the 2.6 kernels it's fast enough and the updates are delivered very regularly, big attaboy for John!

I too used Fedora before, but got tired of feeling like a guinea pig with stuff getting updated so fast I kept having dependency issues (ALSA not matching kernel, modem driver not matching kernel etc etc) and now all is happy.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree        | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net