[WBEL-users] SendMail Gateway

Simone simone72@email.it
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:43:42 +0200

--=====================_424672609==.ALT

First of all thank everyone for your replies.

I haven't been clear on one point, my fault. We have to stay on Exchange,
and users have to keep on using Outlook Web Access, this is a must in my
situation. But we considered that users can connect directly when in the
office, and from home or wherever they can use web access, so imap is not a
requirement right now  ;-).
We would like to have a front web server that could redirect to the correct
exchange web page depending on the login. In this scenario, even if I have
no experience with reverse proxying, it looks to me like the best solution
(any other tip or different opinion is very welcome). If I'm not
misunderstanding it, it looks like we could have 1 only web server with a
public IP, and the users would be redirected to the correct Outlook web
access.

Thanks again, have a nice day
Simone

At 13:43 28/06/2004, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 05:28, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>>I run a similar setup ( but no Exchange backend, its all Cyrus here,
>>there and everywhere ).
>>
>>Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> > I think squirrelmail would be a viable way to do this... it can talk to
>> > a mail server via imap.
>>
>>You would have a problem with SquirrelMail in that it only allows you to
>>have one backend IMAP server for the entire site / implementation. The
>>work around would be to have 3 different copies of SquirrelMail sitting
>>around.
>I thought that 3 separate installs in different directories would be
>required for squirrelmail.
>

>>IMP+Horde ( better webclient, IMO ), can have user specific server settings.
>I haven't setup IMP+Horde, but I have seen it.  It does look very good.
>

>>btw, in this situation, wont Outlook WebAccess work ?
>I was also thinking that Outlook Web Access could work ... but you would
>either need to setup 3 IPs to point into the network to each server (not
>very secure) in the firewall ... or do reverse proxying of the all 3
>servers from one external server.
>
>here is an article reverse proxy using apache:
><http://www.apacheweek.com/features/reverseproxies>http://www.apacheweek.com/features/reverseproxies
>

>Johnny Hughes
>
><http://www.hughesjr.com>HughesJR.com

 Sponsor:
 Corri da Oliviero! Sandali, infraditi, calzature moda-sport per lui e per lei delle migliori marche!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2663&d=28-6oclick.cgi?mid=2458&d=28-6
--=====================_424672609==.ALT

First of all thank everyone for your replies.<br><br>
I haven't been clear on one point, my fault. We have to stay on Exchange,
and users have to keep on using Outlook Web Access, this is a must in my
situation. But we considered that users can connect directly when in the
office, and from home or wherever they can use web access, so imap is not
a requirement right now&nbsp; ;-).<br>
We would like to have a front web server that could redirect to the
correct exchange web page depending on the login. In this scenario, even
if I have no experience with reverse proxying, it looks to me like the
best solution (any other tip or different opinion is very welcome). If
I'm not misunderstanding it, it looks like we could have 1 only web
server with a public IP, and the users would be redirected to the correct
Outlook web access. <br><br>
Thanks again, have a nice day<br>
Simone<br><br>
At 13:43 28/06/2004, Johnny Hughes wrote:<br>
Karanbir Singh wrote: <br>
<pre><font face="Courier New, Courier" color="#737373">I run a similar
setup ( but no Exchange backend, its all Cyrus here,
there and everywhere ).

Johnny Hughes wrote:
&gt; I think squirrelmail would be a viable way to do this... it can talk
&gt; a mail server via imap.

You would have a problem with SquirrelMail in that it only allows you to
have one backend IMAP server for the entire site / implementation. The
work around would be to have 3 different copies of SquirrelMail sitting
around.
thought that 3 separate installs in different directories would be
required for squirrelmail.<br><br>
<pre><font face="Courier New, Courier" color="#737373">IMP+Horde ( better
webclient, IMO ), can have user specific server settings.
haven't setup IMP+Horde, but I have seen it.&nbsp; It does look very
good.<br><br>
<pre><font face="Courier New, Courier" color="#737373">btw, in this
situation, wont Outlook WebAccess work
was also thinking that Outlook Web Access could work ... but you would
either need to setup 3 IPs to point into the network to each server (not
very secure) in the firewall ... or do reverse proxying of the all 3
servers from one external server.<br><br>
here is an article reverse proxy using apache:<br>
<pre>

Johnny Hughes

Email.it, the professional e-mail, gratis per te:<a href=3Dhttp://www.email.it/cgi-bin/start?sid=3D3 target=3D_blank >clicca=
 qui</a><br>
Sponsor:<br>
...Occhiali da sole? Da vista? Lenti a contatto?<br>Vieni a provare la conv=
enienza su Occhialeria.it!<br>

<BR></body>