[WBEL-users] SendMail Gateway

Simone simone72@email.it
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:09:07 +0200

Hi,

 >You might want to keep in mind, that in such a case the OWA interface is
 >going to be exposed on-line to anyone who wants to look at it.

I know it sounds not reasonable, and I agree, but right now this is exactly
the way it is working. Exchange HAS a public IP and it is not protected by
any firewall (crazy?? yes it is). So people go to the web page and log in.
My boss wants to keep it as easy as it is now for users, so teaching people
to connect to the right server is not going to happen. To stay easy I have
to give people one only address (the apache server with reverse proxy) and
then make users insert login in the first page and being redirect to the
right OWA. This way I think is the easiest one (we have around 250 users so
I am confident Apache wouldn't be too stressed even on a medium hardware),
and can put the web server behind the cisco pix 525 firewall. On the other
hand, sendmail will be the front end for delivering incoming messages to
the exchange servers users mailboxes, where users connect from the inside
VPN directly via Microsoft Outlook.
Does it make sense to you? Not sure I have been able to explain myself.

There are things here I cannot change (right now  ;-) ), and I have to move
carefully in this battle.

Any opinion, suggestion / correction very appreciate.

Thanks a lot, have a nice day

Simone