[WBEL-users] Wierd pidof behavior

Aaron Smith asmith@nexcerpt.com
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:54:48 -0500

--=-YYs9tyIT8gLE3K4nRDSz

	So here's a strange one.  We have WB 3.0 installed on a machine here
that runs various perl scripts as backends.  The other machines have
Redhat 7.3 on them.  We run a init type script to start and stop the
various perl scripts that run and this script uses "pidof" to find the
PID's of the various processes.  In order to make sure we're affecting
the correct processes, it calls pidof with the full pathname of the
script we're looking for.
	The strange thing that we've noticed with Whitebox is that this doesn't
work the same way, but only for certain users.  If we have a running
script that is called, say, /usr/bin/script.pl, which is running as user
"someuser" and "somegroup" and you run this command:

someuser> pidof /usr/bin/script.pl

	You get nothing.  *IF* you run it as the user the process is running
as.  If you run the exact same command as a different user, you get the
correct PID.  The REALLY bizzare part is that if you run that very same
command as ROOT, you once again get nothing.
	These "feels" like some kind of permissions problem, but I can't for
the life of me think of why ROOT would not have permission to find a PID
for a process!

--=20
Aaron Smith             		vox: 269.226.9550 ext.26
Network Director        		fax: 269.349.9076=09
Nexcerpt, Inc.          		http://www.nexcerpt.com
=09
	...Nexcerpt... Extend Your Expertise

--=-YYs9tyIT8gLE3K4nRDSz