[WBEL-users] kswapd issues, on latest whitebox updates.

Mark Reynolds mark@reynolds.net.au
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:42:02 +0800

Quoting Jamey Fletcher <jamey@beau.org>:

> Mark Reynolds wrote:
>
> > echo 2 10 20 > /proc/sys/vm/pagecache
> > echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/inactive_clean_percent
>
> Ok, could someone translate for those of us who are *USERS*, not kernel
> hackers, just what that does?

Don't worry. When you see Cisco Linux Kernel Developers asking
the same question, you should not panic.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2004-January/msg00377.html

I did see some RHEL documentation pages yesterday, outlining the
/proc/sys/vm/ configurable options, when googling.

Of course, can't find them today. But from memory, they
said what each file was for, but didn't recommend what they
were good for :-( So unless you're a 'kernel hacker' I doubt
they'd make sense to us mere mortal users, unless you were
working from a recommended setting.

I wouldn't suggest doing anything in there, _unless_
you see performance problems related to kswapd issues.

I'm told later RHEL updates will have better default settings,
which will cover a broader range of default installations.
(Not that I thought my server setup was unusual...)

And yes, those new settings do seem to have locked my
system load to 0.00 from 1.00, which is a good thing.
And kswapd seems to have faded into the background,
where it belongs in my opinion. Time will tell though.

# uptime
 11:40:25  up 21:39,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

regards
mark reynolds

Sent through Reynolds Technology IMP http://www.reynolds.net.au/
Configurable spam and virus free email. Anywhere, anytime.