[WBEL-users] Re: wbel-u] kswapd issues, on latest whitebox updates.

R P Herrold herrold@owlriver.com
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:47:35 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Mark Reynolds wrote:

> I have been asked by a well respected kernel hacker ...
> "Does whiteboxlinux have exactly the same config options
> as the rhel3 kernel?"
>
> I'm not even sure that is a question that we will be able
> to get an answer to, as it seems possible to me that
> redhat could publish their sources, and not the compile
> time options.

ummm -- GPL, v.2, section 3, applicable to GPL sources (of
which the kernel is one), requires a distributor to offer to
its distributees (i.e., customers):

   For an executable work, complete source
   code means all the source code for all modules it contains,
   plus any associated interface definition files, plus the
   scripts used  to control compilation and installation of
   the executable.

There is a strange limitation in the next sentence, but if you
are interested in the compilation flags, it would seem that a
politely worded request (assuming you are a customer of
theirs) would produce what you seek.

My $ 0.02 and fwiw.  If you decide to awk, please advise the
list of the results.

-- Russ Herrold