[WBEL-users] rhn-applet-gui missing?

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:35:38 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:

> In RH 9 and precious versions, there is an applet that loads a
> notification icon in the systray and runs in the background, checking
> RHN for updates on a periodic basis: 'rhn-applet-gui'. I don't see this
> applet in WBEL 3.0-fixed. Is this one of those licensed applets from RH
> that can't be distributed with WBEL? I always liked how it notified me
> of updates available.

Ok, add this one to the list of things that still need doing.  :)

rhn-applet is GPL, like all other RH produced code.  I suspect it would be
a Good Thing(tm) to rename it though.  Keeping with what I did with
renaming the up2date entry in the menus to "up2date network", let me
propose calling it the udn-applet.  Renaming it to wbn-applet would be bad
because it would be harder for other rebuild projects to reuse the work.

I never got around to doing the work needed to put it in WBEL because a)
I never use it, even when my laptop had a paid RHN sub for 7.3, and b)
with the default repo being whiteboxlinux.org I knew the site would end up
being hammered into the ground with all of that regular checking for
updates.  Had 440K hits from Yum in Feb. without rhn-applet checking every
couple of hours.

> Great for lazy people who tend to forget to check for updates.

I stay subbed to the redhat announce lists and just update when I see that
something has dropped.  Now there is just the added step of rebuilding the
srpm.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!