[WBEL-users] rhn-applet-gui missing?

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:48:38 -0500 (EST)

John Morris said:
[snip]
> I never got around to doing the work needed to put it in WBEL because a)
> I never use it, even when my laptop had a paid RHN sub for 7.3, and b)
> with the default repo being whiteboxlinux.org I knew the site would end up
> being hammered into the ground with all of that regular checking for
> updates.

It's really not too bad.  Most of the traffic is HTTP 304 (Content not
changed).

> Had 440K hits from Yum in Feb. without rhn-applet checking every
> couple of hours.

Every 4 hours by default.  Though I do understand that you guys pay the
bandwidth bills  :-)

>> Great for lazy people who tend to forget to check for updates.
>
> I stay subbed to the redhat announce lists and just update when I see that
> something has dropped.  Now there is just the added step of rebuilding the
> srpm.

Yep, I agree.  rhn-applet is kind of nice for those "Oh, that's
installed?" or the "I thought that was installed?" moments.

--
William Hooper